PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spins and Engine Failures Solo Practice
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2009, 05:16
jamestkirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excrab

If you have taught a pilot spinning, then why not allow them to go out and practise it solo?

If you are worried that they will do something unsafe then maybe you should have taught it a bit more thoroughly
NO,NO,NO.

First thing, they are not pilots yet, they are student pilots with minimal experience. And thats the word that means everything, experience. Even after passing your PPL, your still learning the basics. We give them enough experience to learn and build on thier skills. A spin is an advanced manouvre and needs technique as well as competance. Maybe in time they can go up again and have a dedicated lesson and then have some fun. At PPL level you are teaching them the basics of recovery.

Best thing is for new PPL'ers to master landing in crosswinds, navigation etc. which are much more use on a day to day basis.

How many people here have inadvertantly spun an aircraft due to lack of concentration. Now how many have been lost or made a pants crosswind landing etc. For me, the first one never but I still do the last one from time to time.

There was probably a reason why its not compulsory on the PPL syllabus!! (UK before someone pipes up about living somewhere else)

I cannot believe that FI's want to send students up, spinning solo. But there is always one (generally more).