PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NJS-717s ?
Thread: NJS-717s ?
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2002, 00:15
Ultra

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Doctor Smith,

It's good to have some obvious (internal) backing and thanks for the confidence vote - you summed up the specific problems accurately and more courageously!

Yes, the real risk created by the continued denial of natural justice, is the lowering of morale to the point where safety will be compromised as staff's attention is diverted more and more to the inequality and segregation.
It's increasingly difficult to take the positive attitude route as it's "in our face" constantly.

wawoftam,
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree - but bear the following in mind when you consider us opening our pay packets at the end of each week.

We all get paid to do specific jobs and I'm sure we all give it 110% during our time - the point, as employees of the SAME parent company:
- Air Connex B1900 crews provide 110% and are offered B717 opportunites (often with minimal time-in-service and no accumulation of goodwill),
- QF B747 S/O's offered B767 F/O opportunities, etc.,
- NJS BN2/C406/DH8 crews offered BAe146 opportunities and now it would seem onto B717, a new type, if so deemed by QF management. (This must surely be the best airline contract in the world, where the contractor may provide a new type-rating for the contracted staff. The worldwide trend is to appoint staff already type-rated and experienced).
- All QF (non-Fltops) administrative positions are internally advertised and available to all areas of the business.
- Qlink D8 crews - NIL opportunities and as Doc Smith described well, a critical untimely rebuke from management, through it's failure to even award reasonable salary adjustments through significantly increased productivity and SAA's poor handling, (along with the issues I raised in my first post) .

My point in mentioning the type-rating issue is again, not to bring malice to NJS crew, but to highlight the matter of QF using the cheapest option. I fail to understand that it would be any more expensive to train current employees onto a new type, when the cost would need to be defrayed by the contactor as well. Factoring-in the resignation of Qlink turboprop crews through frustration - there would be a case for no or minimal difference in cost to management.

Given the current frame of mind of the Qlink employee - fairly flexible options would be available to management in training turboprop crews - if cost was the only obstacle - however it isn't and instead WE are perceived as the lepers.

flipside,

As a separate issue - unfortunately, the idea is to retain Airlink and AirConnex in the one administrative pool, as 2 separate operations (and cost bases, supposedly) This would, on paper at least, provide QF man. with the flexibility it needs (read competitive edge) to play one group against the other- a tool they have abused for a considerable time now.