PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DGCA
Thread: DGCA
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2009, 17:53
skaios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Shanx

I am well aware of the present scenario with regards to flight schools in India. I am sure that nobody would accuse you of generalizing because it is the truth. However I was in no way suggesting that candidates from these schools with dubious flying records should be considered over and above those who have gone abroad to get their CPLs. I was merely suggesting, more likely venting my frustration, that things could be so much better right here at home given the enormous opportunities. I myself have gone abroad to get my CPL because of the sad state of affairs.

All I am trying to say is that it was a golden opportunity for Indian aviation to transform itself. The government is building new airports all over the country but shutting down the old ones which could have been utilized for so many things, flight training being just one of them. However there are some legitimate flying schools in India: IGRUA and RGRUA being two of them. One of them flies extremely powerful TB20s and King Airs and the the other one has a fleet of state-of-the-art Diamond aircraft. Both are partnerships between the government and CAE. So things are changing and they will be different before the 200 years that you claim it will take. And the sad part is that it is the government who is working in the right direction while private institutes are just there to make a fast buck with no concern for future ramifications whatsoever.

Now when it comes to choosing between the two kind of pilots that you described I would obviously choose the one who has gone to some country abroad over the candidate who "claims" to have done his flying in India (as long as he is not from the institutes mentioned above). But there still needs to be a third choice: a pilot who has some additional experience after getting his CPL! How would that be possible in the present situation? I am not sure but I don't want India to become another Indonesia where most airlines would be banned from flying to the EU or North America because of poor safety records.

The other countries that you mentioned who have pilots that go directly to the right seat after acquiring their CPL are lightyears ahead of us in terms of professionalism, training and adherence to safety standards. Their airlines have been established for years if not decades. Even when they do recruit pilots directly they only recruit the best and even then they pay for the type rating. So let's not even compare India to them.

@tangowithtushar

I completely understand how you feel. I was in the same position as you a little while back. I personally feel completely inadequate to fly a trainer aircraft, forget jets, after not having flown for the last 7 months. But I have understood that if one is looking towards aviation as a career you shouldn't be too affected by these setbacks. The important thing is to try and stay up in the air any way possible. And if you have an opportunity to become a FI in Canada then grab it with both hands. And legs! It is going to be a mad frenzy when the market opens up here whenever that happens and the only thing that would give you the upper hand and probably help you get that job is additional experience. In my opinion.