PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really want to be a pilot!
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2009, 12:38
dbriglee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys.
New to this forum, but heard about it for years!
I agree totally with all the points you all make but being a young guy myself, thought i'd give my opinion.

Did my PPL with the help from funds from a family member, which was great fun and went to do an integrated course.
Just before you judge, the 60 grand loan is all on my head and in my name.

Now working on the dash in the right hand seat. I love the job! Don't get me wrong.
But, i have very little experience of planes other than the commercial world. I mean, yes you are interested in planes when you are growing up etc etc. I went to air shows etc etc.
But I know nothing about military planes and I have only flown the warrior/piper/seneca in the training.

Like 'speed restriction' says, the world has totally changed now in my opinion. Much more to the MPL focus (which i think is ridiculous-- and if you guys are judgemental about people with little experience, the MPL is going to make your blood boil isnt it??!
I meet people in the job and sim checks who have flown every amazing plane going! Vulcan/Red arrow pilots/Aerobatic Instructors/CAA certified pilots for signing off new builds etcetc.

And i'm there just in awe of them, thinking how on earth do i compare to these guys with my experience??! What do i say to them to make conversation about flying/

But, even though I dont have this experience, and not a lot of young guys ever will, it doesnt mean i have lost the drive to fly more varied a/c.
I'm looking into doing and aerobatics course just for fun, and to redo my lapsed single engine

The way of the world has changed, you guys must be able to see that. To a more commercial focus. I would love to do it in modular for a few years actually FLYING, as opposed to being in chage at the front of the plane. But we do hand flying all the time, and still have fun in the job.

I dont want to start a debate about flying instructors vs intergrated course, but i think young guys (including me), were scared of going down the flight instruction route due to the availability of jobs and the money required to get to that position.

Now ive got a brilliant job (yes not much experience), and i love going to work. I know the dash inside out, and feel confident i can handle any emergency under pressure to save the day.

My comparison is....
You dont have to be a racing driver to like cars
You dont have to be an experienced pilot to like flying for a career

Peace out