PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging IFR hours - is my thinking correct?
Old 11th Aug 2009, 11:49
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95% of your last post had nothing to do with the original post - you're harping on about 61.55
You brought it up. Not me. Don't want to talk about it? Don't bring it up.

If you do bring it up, at least be accurate about it. You weren't.

Just for a laugh I was going to ask for the LASORS ref but it'll probably be contradicting itself on the following page
Didn't you wag on about how you'd read the thread? The references have been posted...and discussed in detail. You just missed that part, didn't you?

Your 61.55 comments and the fact that you feel people dont need type training to fly along at 265knots in a twin turbine at FL290 really speak volumes significantly more worrying than this IFR "discussion"
I said nothing of the kind. You said this. Again, if you intend to enter here, do me the courtesy of putting words in your own mouth, and not mine. At no time did I state or suggest that people don't need training, whether it's flying at 265 knots of 20 knots. Of course people need training.

Do people need a "SIC Type Rating" to make them a better pilot, better qualified, or able to do the job? Of course not. There's a difference between the ink on the paper, and being qualified. You asserted that unqualified private pilots with a few hours of training had been flying heavy iron. You did so quite inaccurately, of course, and you continue to be wrong by pushin words upon me that I never said. You are able to speak for yourself, are you not?

Thus far, not a single thing you've set forth has been correct. You're consistently exactly wrong. Never the less, let's press on...

Its very apparent that the insurance companies do the policing in the USA not the FAA- If you want to endorse the fact that you fly around in transport category aircraft having never done a checkride then start another thread - I'll see you there.
Apparent to you, perhaps...but then you wouldn't know. The FAA does the enforcement of the regulation. Insurance companies most certainly do have an influence, but do not do any policing.

I did not make any endorsement of flying tranpsort category aircraft without a checkride...again, something you're suggested, and only you...and once again you're attempting to put words in my mouth.

I stated that not holding an SIC type does not make one unqualified. You find a place in this thread where I suggested one does not need to take a checkride or demonstrate competency. I didn't say it. Again, YOU did. You'll also not find a place where I endorsed a lack of a checkride...this is YOUR assertion. Can you not speak for yourself??

That the regulation formerly did not require a SIC type rating is really irrelevant to competency, and that a checkride may not have been taken for the SIC type (which didn't exist) does not mean a SIC check wasn't taken.

US Part 121 carriers for many years required no type rating, but all pilots received the same checkride, equivilent to a full type rating ride, every six months in order to maintain currency...and all pilots underwent the full training program. Adding a type rating to that training for the SIC wouldn't have changed their ability or skill in the airplane one iota. Traditionally, many companies have only paid for and awarded the type as part of the upgrade training. That the SIC could log the time as SIC is no condemnation on the pilot, the operator, or the FAA...because in most cases the SIC's were far more qualified, with far more experience, than their fellow ICAO brethren abroad.

Again, whereas you can put a few-hundred hour pilot in your airplane and type him, calling him "qualified," traditionally over here we've seen ten to twenty times the experience for someone to fill the same position. Whether that person has a SIC type rating (invented to keep folks like you happy, incidentally, certainly not out of anything but administrative necessity) does not determine their ability, functionality, or skill in the cockpit, and in no way influences or impinges on that individual's judgment.

Now, you appear unhappy this subject was brought up. Of course, you're the one who brought it up. Where does that leave you now?

Last edited by SNS3Guppy; 11th Aug 2009 at 12:04.