PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2009, 04:23
Silly Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vito,

Chin up mate. This disease you have in your blood stream is called Aviation. I am guessing you are not married yet, but later on in Aviation just when you think you are making a living, you may contract A.I.D.S., also known as Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome.
Did the schools show you pictures of an airline pilot standing next to a big jet with flight bag in hand and a neat hat?

I am guessing by your post with all those years of flying (two) and a kings ransom handed over to flying schools that things are not moving fast enough for you. After another four or five years you will look back and refer to these years as the slave days, paying dues, kissing butt, getting calls at 11:00pm for an all nighter, washing, waxing, learning the fine art of bright work, pumping gas, towing planes, flying airmed (tossing the carcus), flying traffic watch, counting or shooting coyotes while flying. If you mange to live through the slave years you may make a respectable pilot and then have logged enough time to actually apply to and get another job. But even then aviation is very un-expectable, you never know whether you will have a job from one day to the next, just when you think you have the tiger by the tale, POOF! the job is gone and you are asking mom and dad for help again.

I flew privately for 20 years and then decided to change careers and fly professionally, sold the home that my wife, daughter and I lived in, sold 5 acres on a 4300' paved airstrip, finished my ratings, moved back into my first home (2br/1ba) and started pumping gas and kerosene at the airport and still put in another three or four years that I considered the slave days before having a respectable job flying. Every time I felt I had a good job, it went away. Lately, shooting coyotes from a plane is sounding like a great job.

But look on the bright side, after about 15 years you can come back to this board (or what ever online will look like then) and post a post like this one to share your hard earned wisdom with the newly printed pilots that can not figure out why the big airline companies are not throwing job offers at them.

Wanting to fly is a paralyzing sickness... but chicks dig it!

Last edited by Silly Pilot; 11th Aug 2009 at 04:38.