PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 10th Aug 2009, 21:58
flyeruk69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been mentioned people on here don't think Bassa has the support they think they do from the cabin crew, just wondering what this is based on ?
I work with and talk to the said Bassa members and the feeling with most of those I talk to is that they're pretty pissed off with whole thing and are very wary of the future.
I don't mean redundancies or losing their jobs.
They are more worried about BA's proposal to have flexible rostering when ever BA feels it's necessary including being called in to fly on days off with 24 hours notice, trips being changed on report, crewing the aircraft to legal minimum, (almost manageable on short haul a nightmare on longhaul if the full service our customers expect and deserve is to be delivered) If there was some sort of overtime attached to being called in on days off , similar to draft payments for our pilot community it would be more palatable, however there's not.
The cabin crew are also worried about the single nights in 14 of the long range destinations and I'm pretty sure it's mainly about quality of life and health, and financially for those full time crew who will find their 900 hour limit creeps up very quickly, leaving them on £12000 basic pay with no chance of earning the extra payments for a period of time, currently about 28 days on the current rostering system on longhaul.

Believe me having been through 2 strikes and one near strike, I dread the thought of striking again !!
If BA decide to give the 90 days notice to change the collective agreements between BA and the TU's there will be a ballot and the return will be high, partly due to it being easy to put a cross in the yes box and passions running high.

For those who believe there will be a last ditch reprieve as last time, it can't happen as the branch constitution has changed meaning there has to be a meeting called for the Bassa membership to vote yea or nae to any agreements made by unite and BA.

The reason why BA and the trade unions have not been talking over the last 2 weeks is because they can't, with a failure to agree registered there has to be a 14 day cooling off period. (which ended last Thursday)

There will be some interesting times ahead, not sure it will be September 1st, but hay do any of us know for sure........... I think not !!