PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Merlins crews unwilling to go to Afghanistan?
Old 10th Aug 2009, 13:49
Jackonicko

Received 56 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm entirely happy that the operators themselves have a better grasp of acceptable risk than I do.

Self evidently, they also have a better grasp than embittered ex-Herc men with a party political axe to grind.

If the Merlin crews are happy to go to war with what they've got, then that's what they should be allowed to get on and do, and without inappropriate hand wringing about airworthiness and vulnerability that will only serve to worry the families and undermine morale.

For our part, we should ensure that the pressure for more assets and for improvements is gently maintained.

But alarmist scare stories, blowing shortcomings up out of all proportion (and especially disgraceful and derogatory remarks about their willingness to deploy) do not help.

Clearly Strobin' feels that the Merlin is 'fit for purpose' in Afghanistan, and that the Merlin is a "tool with which to do the job properly". And he is better qualified to judge such matters that than those who are moaning and whingeing, wringing their hands and getting hot under the collar to the contrary.

There are, clearly, some shortcomings that will put our people at greater risk, and we should obviously seek to address these, but it is equally clear that there is no scandalous deficiency that would warrant witholding them from the line.

Chugalug,

"Writing any good books lately, Jacko? OMG, you're not writing one about an existing senior officer and so got upset about what I've said about some of them?"

Hardly. What you say about anyone is hardly important, but if I get an easy opportunity to slapping you down when you're being even more fatuously silly and kneejerk Tory than usual, then obviously I'll take it.

I suggest you go back to campaigning for memorials to Bomber Command, and to dreaming up other ways to direspect and minimise the contribution of those who served in other commands.