PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging IFR hours - is my thinking correct?
Old 10th Aug 2009, 12:20
Chinchilla.612

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose-x,

I might be dragging this out more than needs be as I'm a bit bored today lol, but not really playing games with you my friend.

I don't think anyone has disagreed about logging of instrument time as being when the flight has been conducted by sole ref to instruments. And I agree fully with all those who have pointed out that logging of even IFR time when para dropping is not acceptable.

However, logging of IFR time when flying procedurally is acceptable and should ALSO be logged. I have not said that one should be logged and the other not logged. They both serve a purpose, and are both recognised by the authority.

As you said, a multi crew pilot may achieve an IRI with the 800 hours IFR, and in some areas that may be before 200 hours IMC (especially if they operate in my part of the world), so a record of both could allow them rating upgrades sooner.

Which figure you put on a job application surely has more to do with what the employer is interested in.

In my own company the IFR (or operational airways and proceedures) experience is of more relevance. This is partly because we operate with the autopilot doing most of the flying from departure through the cruise along the airways and down to 100' above minimums on approach. The weather here is predominantly VMC, and manual handling skills in IMC are tested 6 monthly in the sim.....opportunity to practice in the aircraft is limited.

Whilst it is "nice" to have a candidate who also has plenty of actual instrument time this could just as easily have been flown outside of controlled airspace and airways and whilst their handling skills may be fine, they can be lacking in operational experience. The ideal candidate has evidence of both and thus recording it in the log book is a sensible thing to do.

Like yourself and Guppy, once you reach a certain level it really loses it's relevance, but to the lower houred on here it can be advantageous to demonstrate both the IFR and IF experience as previously expressed.

Out of interest, for the FAA requirements do you record your approach types and holds in the remarks section, or do you have dedicated columns?