PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging IFR hours - is my thinking correct?
Old 10th Aug 2009, 09:42
Chinchilla.612

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NuName,

Whilst I'm sure there are different ways to interpret written regulations to fit in with ones own understanding, I think I'll stick with the UK CAA's version of it rather than Mr Guppys' (no matter how well intentioned).

The many posts on here (from your own countrymen as you put it) are correct, and over here in JAR land IFR is time spent on an IFR flight planned route, and IMC is IF and should be recorded in the remarks (or spare column) of your logbook. This is worth doing as it is stated quite clearly in LASORS (which is of no relevance to the FAA amongst us, but is rather important for anyone wanting to upgrade a JAA licence) that "1 hour sole reference to instruments may be counted as 4 hours flight by IFR." thus also reinforcing the difference. (Lasors H2.1 if you want to look it up). If as Guppy maintains IF and IFR are the same, this variance would truly make no sense.

The reason I was given for keeping a record of IFR time as well as IF time is due to the complex and busy airspace in Europe, and to show currency in the operating environment (or operational condition if you will). There is still a requirement to also record the time spent flying by sole ref to the instruments (IF time) in accordance with the ANO. In this way you have a record of your experience for both Instrument Flying skills, and currency of operational procedures.

I'm sure if we all read up on the FAA regs we'd find other ways to interpret how they do things too, but is it reallly worth it?!

Surely the best plan is to record the information requested by our own local licencing authorities, (but perhaps be sure to input only the IF time when applying for an FAA position since they do not want to know how much time has been spent operating under Instrument Flight Rules).

At the end of the day, we don't have to agree with any of the rules the authority set....we just have to follow them.

Chinchilla.