PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging IFR hours - is my thinking correct?
Old 10th Aug 2009, 09:07
Chinchilla.612

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wodka,

Sorry for ignoring your question, but I have to admit that I missed your point at first as I got distracted by the definitions arguement that has taken over on here lol.

To answer your question about logging P1 IFR whilst doing your job, I can not give you a definite answer but am able to tell you my own experience. My first job (after instructing) was flying aerial surveys, and as such I would spend up to 6 hours per sortie flying (often inside Class A airspace including the London TMA) but as you can imagine flying IMC would not produce very good images! Our flights were given clearances to enter the airspace, but we were not flying on an IFR flight plan, they were special clearances. A friend of mine flies para dropping and tells me they have a similar clearance......but as I said, I cannot comment on your own operation.

Since, at the time the IFR time would have been useful to me for moving onto air taxi work (to meet the 100hrs ME IFR for single pilot ops) I enquired from the UK CAA PLD about the validity of logging those hours. The response was that the IFR hours had to have been logged on an IFR flight planned route, or could be achieved in actual IF conditions (IMC).

So for my own operation only those hours spent positioning to/from survey sites in IMC counted, and the several hundred hours flying in Class A airspace did not.

This was about 4 years ago though, so if you want a definate and up to date answer check with the CAA, they have always been very approachable to me.

That said though, unless you are planning to do single pilot charters or IR instruction there seems very little point worrying over it. Once I'd met the 100 hour starting point, I've never been asked my IF or IFR time since. Also, if you are thinking of going down the single pilot charter line.....bear in mind that it's multi engine IFR time you need for most AOC requirements (just thought I'd mention that incase you're flying a single at present).

Sorry for the previous thread creep, and hope that helps you.

Chinchilla.