PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantas 737 wing inspection lights on for take-off
Old 10th Aug 2009, 07:07
spirax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airmanship !!

Hey, whatever happened to Airmanship??

Yes, I know it is not taught at flying schools these days and maybe not considered by folk that put out such instructions.

The PIC must always have the option to consider what effect lights (or anything else for that matter) may have on other aircraft. Don't have a problem with lights on crossing rwy's etc, but at the holding point where there are a/c close together in the line or on the runway then some discretion is in my view is just good airmanship.

I remember a 767 pulling up behind me a few times and just his taxi light was enough to kill what night vision I had at the time. If you are in a Metro, Dash or Saab then you eye-level is where it hurts most.

Was it not the commercial dept that said it was best to have the cabin lights to dim for take-off and landing so the punters could enjoy the view or not be woken up on descent? Never mind that QF was one of the few carriers having a policy (up till then) of having the cabin lights on so as to make the a/c easier to see at night. Never mind the cabin safety advantages of having the lights on at that stage of flight! Just keep the punters happy!!!

What’s that word again??? Ah yes..."AIRMANSHIP"