PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging IFR hours - is my thinking correct?
Old 10th Aug 2009, 03:52
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm certainly open to a frank explanation for these references, but thus far none has been forthcoming...other than references to a printed logbook. I'm no expert in European air legislation...not remotely close. I would like to see a reference that explains away what's already been posted though, and clearly shows that one should log time not based on IFR conditions (as defined), but on a flight plan, airspace, or a clearance.

Seems that explanation is rather elusive. In all probability they may be right...but it would be nice to see a conclusive answer beyond conjecture.

For moral and practical purposes, however, you're absolutely right. Logging is done for the purposes of recording experience, and time spent on an IFR clearance, of it's own accord, is about as valuable as a two legged milkstool in an earthquake. Time spent actively engaged in the art of instrument flight, however, regardless of the clearance, flight plan, or airspace, is an educational commodity which requires close attention to detail, situational awareness, a rapid scan, a good mastery of the aircraft and instrumentation, a working knowledge of procedure, and genuine skills.

I suppose I can see why some might be drawn to piling up as much time as they can simply on an IFR flight plan, instead...