PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantas 737 wing inspection lights on for take-off
Old 9th Aug 2009, 23:06
pcx

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretzal and any other pilots that have had their night vision disturbed by these lights to the point that you felt it was a safety issue.
Use the Qantas safety management system or whatever it is called to lodge a report. This may not result in any change to the Qantas Sops but it will at least require them to investigate the issue.
In the past (admittedly about 8 years ago) I had a problem with something I observed on a Qantas flight. When I tried to report it at the arrival airport I was faced with complete indifference at the counter. I persisted and contacted the safety department in Sydney and got a very positive response with appropriate follow up. They even requested that I make a additional report about the difficulty that I had trying to make the report at the airport. Also received an open invitation to visit the safety department when next in Sydney. Overall I felt that the report was welcomed.
I believe that the safety reporting system of any operator will welcome reports from any responsible reporter if they are made with genuine intent.
At the very least you should file a report with ATSB if you really feel this is a safety issue. Even if nothing is done the report is on file and if more people also report this as a problem it may prompt an investigation and maybe some action.
Just because the lights "policy was introduced last year as a result of recommendations made by Eurocontrol, the FAA and Airservices Australia" does not necessarily make it right.