PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 rating
Thread: B777 rating
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2009, 04:36
AIEXPATS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a 777 Rating no big problem, but a job after??

I think I did exactly what you are thinking about. I had the JAA 737 PIC Rating. I arranged with Alteon/Boeing in SEA to do a PIC/CM1 STAR B777 Course. Was a hassle to get the Flight Training approval as I was considered an "Independent" (not sponsored by an airline). Just prior to the STAR Course, I did my FAA Class 1 Medical and FAA ATP Written (had a Commerical/Multi/ IFR FAA Lic.). The Alteon STAR Course (one weeks Ground School, 30 hrs in a Level D FAA/JAA Approved SIM, FAA and JAA Written Test and the FAA Oral) combined with a dual JAA/FAA Examiner allowed for both the FAA and JAA Rating (after a complicated paperwork submission process) to be issued. Cost in Sept. 2005 was USD 13,000+ including hotel, transport, etc. The problem that resulted was without a 100 hrs PIC (lowest being accepted by AI at the time and usually 500 hrs. is the min.), there was no chance anywhere as a direct entry CP (DEC). One friend of mine managed to do some delivery flights on the B777 and got the magic 100 hrs. and did start that way on his B777 Career (formerly B744 rated he was). So to this day, I have the FAA 777 Rating, an expired JAA 777 Rating, with no B777 flight experience and aside from the inital rating sim check in Sept. 05 no further experience on the 777. I have not bothered to do the JAA Skill Test as it is very complicated and expensive to arrange for a JAA Examiner and JAA approved sim slot. In Europe BA offers B777 JAA sim slots and Alteon in SIN as far as I know. A JAA Examiner is also difficult to find. After 2 yrs+. of the Rating issuance as in my case, I would have to do a JAA 2 day recognized Ground School Refresher, written test and at least 4 hrs. of sim plus a JAA Sim Skill Test (usually 4 hrs.) with an JAA Examiner. Figure that would cost about Eur 700/hr. for the sim and around Eur 200/hr. for the Examiner if not shared. Transport, flights, HOTAC extra. So in my opinion an expensive Rating to get now and a questionable payback in the form of employment during these times.
As a matter of fact, a complete set of B777 Manuals for sale on Ebay Article Nr. 270439466706 if you are interested. Expires 17.Aug. 10:29 MESZ.

Last edited by AIEXPATS; 9th Aug 2009 at 06:52.