PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging IFR hours - is my thinking correct?
Old 8th Aug 2009, 16:53
12Watt Tim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SN3Guppy you are repeating a question even though I have pointed out it is irrelevant. If you are signing a legal document to say that you have filled out a page correctly, and it has a column for flight under IFR, you must fill it in correctly to the best of your knowledge!

Chinchilla has answered the question directly, but I am not sure why you think it would be acceptable to fill out the logbook incorrectly and then sign it even if JARs read differently.

Meikleour

Because SN3's answer was not "...perfectly sensible...". It was completely wrong in the context, and quite obviously so from the thread headline, "Logging IFR hours". IFR is a set of flight rules, SN3 started talking about flight reference which is irrelevant.

Had Wodka been in the USA SN3's answer would have been relevant but confusing, as he did not explain why he was suddenly changing to flight reference when Wodka was talking about rules. As it is Wodka was asking about flight in the LTMA. To avoid ambiguity you can look at his location, which is London, so given different rules it can only really be assumed that he means the London TMA, so if he is meat bombing it must be on a JAA licence, so under JAR FCL-1 rules.

We are not talking about military flight logs either. You also logged lift to land in the military I assume, but you can add a little time to each flight when you transfer to a civilian logbook. We are talking here about civilian rules, and IFR not flight by sole reference to instruments.

You are the one making a meaningless statment when you talk about "instrument time", as you are not distinguishing between flight under IFR and flight in IMC, in the very sentence after you complain at others for confusing the two. Wodka is asking about flight under IFR, and he very definitely is required to log time in the TMA as such. He should log other time as such, if he is complying with IFR, has decided to fly under IFR and has informed any ATSU he is in contact with that he is flying under IFR.

Under JAR-FCL-1 the difference between flight under IFR and flight by sole reference to instruments is only relevant to low-hour pilots who want to instruct IF!

PicMas

Don't forget that in the UK (and any other country that does not allow VFR flight at night) a pilot does not even require an instrument qualification to fly IFR in VMC outside controlled airspace.