PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 8th Aug 2009, 12:23
Skylion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting to see the denials about the fact that BA's on board sevice is highly variable and while sometimes superb at others it is pretty awful-and has been for years. Some crew seem to believe what they are maybe told in training school: "We are the greatest" Some are ,but too many show little interest in the passenger, little warmth or humanity. It has become almost culture to these folk and they make life difficult for those who want to work hard at being. excellent.BA need to research why this is. Their cabin crew have one of the best packages in the industry and yet appear to be perennialy miserable. There is a large amount of blind loyalty to the union and what it says and little to the company which pays them,- and whose management, far from being evil, is generally relatively benign even if weak and unwilling to risk confrontation over poor performance. BA also suffers from huge political correctness. The allowance based culture has produced an inward looking and restrictive approach to the job. "How little can I do?" "When do I get my rest?" and "How much do we get for that" are too often the dominating questions. The on-board workload is generally less than on the competitors, especially the low costs whose staff work flat out on short sectors to deliver the catering, take the money and then sell the duty free,- something BA crew seldom make a serious effort at.(maybe they need training on selling techniques). BA has an excellent hard product but the often very obvious negative cabin crew attitides give it ,-and those who joined because they really wanted to make a difference ,-an enormous probem.
BASSA lives on strife and negativity-which actually undermines the enjoyment of the job for many. It is time they genuinely helped to design a new and happier future for everyone and accepted that the costs and attitudes which go with restrictive practices have got to come out,-permanently.