PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYANAIR thoughts
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2009, 14:27
Leo Hairy-Camel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Albert's young Prince and a rat on the mat.

Better paid, work less and massively better pension provision than any FR pilot - and not a BA pilot! Want to mess with my terms and conditions? Speak to the union.
Monarch doesn't count, as you well know. If it's anyone else, Barden old boy, let's have this conversation again in a year and see who's left standing, shall we?

RAT 5, the reason I don't respond to you more frequently is that you're one singularly miserable individual who manages to depress me at the very sight of your user ID. I can only wonder at how bleak the world must seem from behind your eyes. However, we're here now so lets have a closer look at your latest intellectual bowel movement.
I ask again him to name 1 airline where the unions have driven it to the wall
It seems my highly capable young son Bruce Wayne has done the job for me, for which my sincere thanks. To that I would add one might, but for the ludicrous provisions of Chapter 11, place ALL the major legacy carriers of the United States, along with many others you might find familiar herein.

RAT 5 provides us with a useful foretaste of what things might be like here in €urope were organisations like BLAPA to have their way. The US airline industry founders in the perpetual state of adversarial conflict that exists between management and labor.(sic) This presupposes the sort of leadership that slithers to the surface of American pilot's unions, and defines in turn the sort of crisis management, toe-cutting, dockyard thuggery sort of management best suited to deal with such a threat. It astonishes me that any American aircraft fly at all, with so much negative energy expended on the conduct of such an inherently dysfunctional relationship.

RAT 5 would have us believe that it's only ever bad management, that oft-heard and somewhat forlorn chirping of the Dodo, which is singularly responsible for airline failures or, to put it within the reach of his shrinking grasp, pilots good, management bad. As in life, RAT 5, such moronic oversimplifications are always disingenuous. That you sight BLAPA's 'successes' at British Airways as the demonstration of their usefulness, is entirely devoid of meaning. I fully acknowledge that, for the Pilots of British Airways, BLAPA provide value for money, but then they would do, wouldn't they. BLAPA exists for the benefit of BA and, increasingly, themselves. Besides, flag carriers are untouchable. Or rather, they were.

They say that in order for you to consider yourself a nation, you require three things. A flag, a football team and an airline. The trouble is that the first two are cheap and easily made successful. So too is an airline, if you throw endless sums of money at it. As Aer Lingus has found out, and British Airways is soon to find, though, it becomes a bit trickier if the airline in question is infested with recalcitrant unions absolutely opposed to change and you're supposed to turn a profit at the same time.

Aer Lingus has recently appointed their undertaker of choice in the form of Christoph (Dr. Death) Mueller. So committed is he to the future of Aer Lingus, Dr. Death has even elected not to relocate to Dublin, preferring instead to run the final few months of Aer Lingus from Bruxelles. Far better to watch from the safety of distance I've always thought too, Christoph.

Meanwhile at British Airways, our Willie is gloving up for the summer fight with BASSA, the union that angries up the blood of the overweight, middle aged frumps and clipboard queens who sling the rubber chicken dinners at FL370. They have permitted their egos to be massaged by BASSA over the years to the point whereby they think they're equivalently as valuable as pilots, and need to be treated accordingly. I'm afraid they're in for a very, very rude shock in the days ahead. I've never seen the results of an Irish timber wolf let loose in a coop full of boiling hens, but I'd reckon the feathers are going to fly.

Danny, change is a fact of life. Perhaps not in Monaco, but in the real world you need to adapt or perish. Which one looks more likely for you, would you say?
True, the industry is in a difficulti situation also because there are companies that don't play a fair game
Do you understand what competitive advantage means, Danny? To what do you attribute the opportunity you've been given in flying for Ryanair? Do you have, would you say, a sense of entitlement that flavours your thinking perhaps?