PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 rating
Thread: B777 rating
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2009, 11:18
andihowie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up B777 rating

I need some help or pointers, Ive got 2300hrs total with 2100hrs of them on the B737. I was thinking of applying to Korean Airlines for the non type rated B777 position, where we have to arrange and pay for our own B777 rating. Ive got a JAA ATPL but dont want to fork out European prices for the type rating, so I though itd be a good idea to get an FAA type rating as korean accept them both anyway.
My idea was to apply for an FAA validation on my JAA license, then do the FAA B777 type rating. Is this possible? I read somewhere we cant add more stuff to the validation.
Second idea was to do the B777 FAA rating and the FAA ATP test and oral exam and when I pass the type rating, this would count as my flight test and i would have the full FAA license issued. Again will this work?
My final idea was to do the flight test in the B737 and the exams, get my FAA lisence then do the B777 rating after. Im current on the B737 so should be fairly straight forward.
Or would I be better doing the FAA CPL/IR/ME in an light twin aircraft, bearing in mind I havent flown one for an age so would need retrained.
If anyone has ideas or suggestions to help, to keep my cost as low as poss, would be much appreciated.
Please no moaners about paying for type ratings etc, its just the way it is and Im not bank rolled by daddy so i can spend my money anyway i see fit!