PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Returns to Profit on Fuel-Hedging Gain
Old 6th Aug 2009, 09:35
A. Le Rhone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's difficult to believe them.

It's always be dire: terrible: the sky is falling.

Whenever we say the loads are great they say "ah but the yields are bad", something that unlike the thousands of bums on seats we can't physically verify.

They set profit targets ridiculously high and then moan when their 9% year-on-year improvement (or whatever) is "behind target" so alas things are terrible.

And we as gullible fools are meant to lap it all up.

Yes this is a downturn but there have been downturns before and there will be again. Asia is already seeing the signs of improvement and CX just announced in excess of US$100 million profit.

So firstly, I take all their doom and gloom with a pinch of salt and secondly by their own rationale, the staff who took SLS can very obviously expect that profit to be returned to them.

As sure as night follows day this enterprising part of the world will imminently be marching again on the highway of prosperity and any airline that decides to shed staff (particulary highly-skilled staff) at this time will be very much caught short when that march gathers pace.

I suspect CX know this and all their hoopla is yet another means by which to manipulate staff and psychologically condition them.

I'm conditioned enough thanks.