PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NJS-717s ?
Thread: NJS-717s ?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2002, 19:09
Ultra

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Balinda, Capt Claret, flipside, Doctor Smith, Airspeed Ambassador and stormywx, thank you for the comments and opinions,

My comments on this matter are purely directed at the management of QF who, as stated correctly, own the trainset. Despite all the explanations of sound business judgement, however, the point has been passed where fiscal policy has determined a sound outcome.
The name Impulse was mentioned to make my point only easier to follow and I don't believe any half-intelligent pilot would honestly, in the longer term, blame another individual for causing the plight we now find ourselves in.
To repeat, Brand X,Y or Z would have made no difference to the outcome.
I do stand by my comments however that I'm amazed by the failures in our fraternity to think beyond their own backyard at the moment.

I don't mean any malice to NJS and no, they are not perceived as lepers- but again as you put it well CC, we too are no more and no less deserving - we, in contrast and in balance, have seen no improvement in our lot and a genuine degradation since the introduction of a new player, which is my point in listing the detail - to hopefully illustrate that UNLIKE other sectors of the Qantas or Qantaslink group, there has been additional burdens placed on specific parts of the Qantaslink sector to support or expand other sections of Qantaslink - the gains however have not been shared equally and it appears will never be.

We too, do our best to create an environment conducive to the companies ongoing success and daily functions have largely progressed thanks to the unpaid goodwill of staff - the goodwill however is quickly and justifiably drying up however, as it becomes more and more clear that QF have nothing except contempt for this specific part of their business.

Airspeed Ambassador, flipside, I and most don't make it a habit of "daily slanging off at other pilot's" to make ourselves feel better - we're a little too busy and too old for that sort of thing. "Being grateful for having a job" as satisfactory justification for a denial of opinion or sentiment? - the logic is flawed simply by the fact that we would all remain in our very first vocation or be earning non-sustainable salaries if this were to be honoured - it denies human nature in all respects and in the ultimate analysis would inhibit global progress..

It's been suggested that voting with your feet in these circumstances is the only way to go, however in the real world, options for alternative employment are limited by former association - that leaves Virgin only and really 45-55 y.o. no-previous-jet F/O's at Virgin? I think you'll find their philosophies in cabin crew recruitment extends largely to tech crew as well..

stormywx and others: I, along with my peers understand the opinion of us among the upcoming generation as possibly that of "grumpy old men" and as "bickering among ourselves", "giving ourselves bad reputations". In reality, there was a time when we all too, looked upon a Beech Queenair as sufficient to satisfy our lifetime career goals. However, don't trivialise this into a "bright and shiny new toy" syndrome. It is really more complex than that and the subtleties will, unfortunately, take you some years in the industry to appreciate.

At a time when it would have been appropriate to offer a measure of gratitude and confidence in their team by the offer of selected, if not all, opportunities as it currently does in every other sector of it's business, (mainline Flt Ops included), QF management have instead served up another slap-in-the-face as payment for unseen and ongoing staff loyalty and goodwill to targeted areas of its business.

Balinda, CC, I empathise your points of job security, however while conscious decisions were made by many people in their career paths, a person's success shouldn't be determinable by good luck alone, - in the same way a minority of long-termers stayed at Impulse in the belief that their bet would one day pay off, many too stayed in the turboprop companies, equally hopeful (and with a greater justification), that their horse would come home first. All other sectors of the QF business enjoy career progression - including mainline flt ops areas - the courtesy however, is specifically denied from individual areas of the regional fleet and a clear segregation exists.
The only justification is that management do this because they can - do not do this between domestic and long haul because it would be a larger call - unfortunately, the regionals are an easy target.
That promotional opportunities exist within mainline in all departments and between regional and mainline in all but Flt Ops, is clearly evidence of this.

This is the crux of the argument - the existence of undervaluation of the area of the business in which we operate in the eyes of the employer.
Unlike life at NJS, where this remains mostly transparent through geographical separation (and on-par salaries) - east coast turboprop operations confront this segregation daily.

Management's actions in this have been callous and are unjustifiable.