PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More interesting take offs and landings?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2009, 10:18
13Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm... interesting take offs and landings... I suppose:

- American 767 from Dallas to Gatwick - rejected take-off at Dallas, followed by a burst tyre on landing at Gatwick
- Couple of goarounds with BA, one on a 757 coming in to GLA due to plane in front not clearing the runway, the other coming in to LHR from Buenos Aires on a 747, due to an indication of a problem with the landing gear.
- Not long after take-off from Entebbe on a Sabena DC-10 (or maybe MD-11), a very sudden falling out of the sky sensation...
- RJ100 landing in strong crosswinds into LCY - watching the runway all the way down the approach from seat 3A: cool !
- A Fokker 50 landing into AMS in turbulence that got even the hardened travellers talking and raising eyebrows
- A Sabena hop from EDI to GLA on an BAe146. Definitely my shortest trip on a jet aeroplane...!

But the most memorable take-offs and landings of all were on my recent honeymoon in Tanzania - take off from a dirt runway in the Serengeti... flying over the Ngorongoro Crater... landing in Zanzibar (passing the Indigo Aviation Dakota sitting on the apron). And being able to watch the pilot at the controls all the way - fantastic !

13Alpha