PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was the Nomad really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 23:17
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
664 hours on the N22 out of Samoa and always found it it be a great airplane. Could lift 12 people easily out of 800 foot strips with the temps around 30C and never had it limited except by torque. Often had to increase power after takeoff since it got off the ground so easily even with the throttles at less than the climb setting. Could fly on one engine and climb to 5000, better than most light twins. Flew it to neighbouring islands including Tonga and Fiji as well as around the Samoas. Great visibility, good balanced controls, fantastic performance, miserly fuel consumption, could carry large loads (volume as well as weight), had good passenger appeal, pretty fast compared to it's rivals, etc. Hot inside on the ground, but good ventilation cooled it down after takeoff. My only problem was the noise, but again the Nomad was not unique in that area.
I truly don't understand the objections some offer to this airplane, especially by anyone who has actually flown it. I put it down to the "tall poppy" syndrome, or the Australian cringe factor. Ignore them.