PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eaglejet Airlines
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 21:31
Another Old Fogey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you, Big Number - I'm no fan of these schemes, BUT I am pragmatic - I'm a Yorkshireman so I know when to call a spade a spade!

Read my earlier posts - when I joined BOAC as a Cadet, I landed on easy street - but that was in the 1960's! Its very different now, so I really do think you have to change with the times and live in this world, not a nostalgic world that might/should exist (my wife accuses me of living in the past quite enough!).

In an ideal world, the airlines would re-instate Cadet programmes and train their own crews - but as I said in an earlier post, in this world the Accountants have taken over and that isn't likely to happen. (can you see MOL changing and respecting his pilots?)

So new entrants are faced with really only 3 options, at present - go to Ryanair, with all that entails, compete against "n" thousand other guys who have a shiny blue book and 0 jet time or pay for Line Training.

There is always a 4th option, of course - do nothing and sit on your bum, but with individuals as driven as pilots (you wouldn't get your ATPL G/S unless you were driven) many will not take the 4th option so they throw themselves at the other 3 options.

Each option is legitimate - it depends on your own circumstances. But I resent the rudeness of this Board and such that every time somebody voices an opinion that Option 3 may suit him, he gets howled down by the Antonovs and others. It is disrespectful to people seeking genuine help and assistance from fellow aviators.

When GL2651 posted yesterday, he was asking for help - I see no reason to heap abuse on him when its safe to assume he does know that there is a vocal group of folks who don't agree with his question - but there are also others who understand why he asks it and try to help.

As I've said, I have a personal interest in this issue as I have a friend doing the EJ scheme at present - hence, I check in on this Thread to see what is happening. This is why I post when I think there is excessive bullying of people who simply want to find out their options and make their own decisions - not have Mr. Antonov make them for him. Again, I repeat - I have nothing to do with EJ and am not a shill for them.

Fogey.