PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thank you families!!! No thanks NOTW!!!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 02:30
spannermonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t post very often but after reading this thread and the article it demonstrates again that despite the constant failings of the government, not just the current bunch of spineless tools but also the previous idiots that occupied number 10 and the continuous embarrassing stories, which highlight time and again that, the Forces are beyond stretched.

During my time in the RAF I served as both an Airman and Officer with tours from 1st to 4th line to DLO and EngO posts and participated in numerous families days througout. These were held to provide the families of those serving the opportunity to experience a glimpse of what daily life in the RAF is about, on Squadrons that often includes a short jolly where possible. The look of joy on the faces of the kids, mine included, especially when have just had a flight in or look round a Heli or FW ac that ‘daddy’ works on or even flies is unforgettable and as several have pointed out in the articles comment section is a way to generate interest for those who may consider joining.

The Forces are unique in that they do not have an end product as such, no matter how much is invested the only thing you will ever get out is a better ability/capability, but not some widget that can be sold for a profit to offset the investment required. I think that the issue here is not that ac hours are being wasted on jollies as this has always gone on and something that I fully support, but more that the cut backs from the last years (go back as far as you like) have reduced the Forces to the point where there have been so many ‘exclusive’ reports which embarrassingly show the government has done nothing to support them. Further, when a new problem arises they make a who lot of noise, often only after huge public pressure (Herc, and Nimrod for a start) about correcting the problem, but then fail to make good on their promise. How many lives have been lost due to a lack of resource be it financial or other, losses that change families for ever. How many aircraft have been lost because a decision was made where cost outweighed risk. I certainly remember good old Tony making a pledge to give the Forces whatever they wanted regardless of the cost a few years back after the lack of body armor was brought to the public domain.

The ‘can do’ attitude of those serving is something that makes you proud to have served, yet continues to provide ammunition for the government to exploit. While the top brass have made some headway to standing up for their troops recently they need to do more, Yes they are answerable to the Government and have to chose their battles wisely, but they are also responsible for the duty of care of those serving under them.

This journo, while a complete plebe has only shown again that the Forces are working beyond capacity, a situation which will only continue deteriorate as nothing is being done to address the real problems of obsolescence and shortage, especially when you consider that despite a small increase in the defence budget, year on year the real value of this has been reducing. We can all name a handful of projects that have overrun on budget and slipped so far beyond their original in service date its laughable and I’m no just talking about ac like MRA4 or Typhoon (god when was that first started), what about JPA, Bowman and the countless millions of pounds that have been wasted on other projects that eventually end up going nowhere. How much does the MOD spend each day on contractors filling posts formally occupied by Service personnel, £500+ a day each sound too high! Then, when we do finally get something new its so often dogged with problems that you get the feeling it was brought in just to stop the questions.

Personally I think both the Senior Leaders and MOD need to grow some bolts and actually say what needs to be said - We cant cope with the current commitments, our personnel are tired and fed up with being away so much, the equipment is over used and the budgets are too small and keep getting smaller – expectation of the government has exceeded capacity. That is why this minor story has had such a huge response.

End of long rant, back in my box and waiting for incoming.