PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Staff Travel. FA jump seat use
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2009, 11:48
mohikan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peg.

Clearly if we have a differing point of view in an area that is not covered by company regulations then we would need to refer said issue to our respective higher managements for a decision. If you were not happy then with that decision it would be your choice not to operate I guess. If I am not happy with the decision I shrug my shoulders and get on with it because plenty of things happen on the line each day that are less then ideal and its just a matter of getting on with the task at hand

But in this case we are NOT talking about a differing point of view.

The flight standing order on this issue makes it company policy. Policy forms part of the CASA endorsed operator approval, WHICH MEANS that ALL operating aircrew, both tech and cabin, are required to follow said policy unless in the view of the licensed aircrew an emergency exists where the regulation needs to be disregarded so as to ensure a safe outcome for the flight.

Note that a family member sitting on a cabin crew jumpseat does not constitute an emergency under the CAR's

Also note, that the pilot in command is empowered, indeed is LEGALLY obligated to enforce and follow all company policy and the CAR'S.

If you chose, on the day of the flight, to refuse to follow company policy, then you may be held out of service to allow a crew member who will comply with the policy to replace you.

And the beauty of the situation is that it won't even be me that has to make the decision.

Once I inform the Duty Captain I have a crew member refusing to follow company policy he will consult with cabin crew management and you will be dropped like a hot potato.

And to make sure of things I will also place a phone call to the CASA FOI with a heads up that an ASIR is coming his way which talks about a crew member who refuses to operate under company policy and by extension the CAR's.

The FAAA won't save you then I can assure you.

There will be no time for mediation or any other PC bullsh** due to the need to achieve an on time departure.

You may not like the policy, and thats your prerogative. But you will need to progress your concerns through your management using the appropriate processes, and in the mean time comply with company policy like everyone else has to.