PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Staff Travel. FA jump seat use
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2009, 00:05
airtags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my goodness things are very tribal these days!
When will some of the wayward children realise that we're all on the same side!!!

So to put this whole thing back on track:

1. Use of CC Jumpseats by a non operating crew or pax require amendment to the Ops Manual (not negotiable)
2. Said Ops Manual change must be notified to regulator
3. Said regulator will probably (almost g'teed to) want to impose conditions (quite rightly so considering we are talking about the primary escape exit for pax)
4. Conditions would most likely to be similar to occupant of overwing exit row with the addition that the occupant has had some form of type relevant EP training and adequete briefing
5. Item 4 above requires consultation and subsequent approval of regulator and said regulator probably would want physical evidence of briefing, compliance etc as they did with Type III exits.
6. In rare instances the non operating person being placed on the CC assist jumpseat may affect the crew ratio
7. Note that item 6 above is calc'd on total PAX seating capacity and forms part of AOC -
[8. Former policy of F/Deck jumpseat did require an ASIC]

So when commonsense, the regs and due process finally catches up with this little routine the likely outcome is that depending on the extent of the regulator's specs for item 4.....................................many of our partners/family members may not get the CC jumpseat anyway!

Let's face it the whole thing has quickly arisen largely due to an inarticulate out of date staff travel system and a brain farted decision to save a bit of petty cash by only using under-rated (9g) crew rest seats on the 380 ....all of this resulted in what was deemed to be a "one-off" quick fix by one well intentioned Capt. who was supporting his crew.

Unless I'm bugging out of a third world war zone, I really don't want to ask my CSM & CC to play nanny to George from Catering's Aunty on the jump seat. I also don't want George's Aunty in the way if we have to shove a few hundred people out the door in an emergency.

Plus I really don't want to see the perception of CC as safety professionals eroded by having someone in jeans, t-shirt and thongs sitting in a CC jumpseat. It's certainly not the look of a premium airline.

The sensible fix is to give accompanied crew's PRIMARY benficaries priority uplift.

Note to inhabitants of QCC:
(a) the sensible fix is a whole lot cheaper than addressing items 1 through 7 above.
(b) in the event of sensible resolutions not being part of management SOPs suggest re: items 1 & 2 - that it might be a very wise idea to put these at the top of Monday's To Do list

Last edited by airtags; 1st Aug 2009 at 00:15.