PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots New Vueling
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2009, 19:08
pilot18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spanish...to speak or not to speak...

When I intervied and hired it was all in english.

Since one of my reasons for joining was to move to a warmer and nicer place, and to learn the language(spanish), I was thrilled when I read in my contract that " I am required to learn spanish to a certain level in order to be able to communicate with other staff in the company." Vueling will provide me with the courses necessary to learn spanish.

Vueling has not done so and I have reached only a certain level, but I can actually communicate sufficiently with our new maintenance staff, whose english is less than my spanish. I can actually understand ATC in spanish

I think it is natural to learn the language of the country you live and work in.

What bothers me the most is the spanish managment mentality and the way that our new collegues (ex clickair), have bowed down to their masters in fear, instead of actually pointing out when things are not right, as we have tried in the past, e g "the yellow book".

I also believe that the spanish language(or french, or italian, or...)have nothing to do inside a flight deck regarding ATC communications. It doesn't help that the spanish ATC are sometimes...lacking. It doesn't help that a majority of the spanish airlines(and pilots) accept "nonstandard" clearences and fly nonstandard approaches.

Especially when you have nonspanish airlines flying the standard routings as they are cleared (but not expected by ATC) and, whoops, a conflict.

I do believe that some kind of representation is in order and IF they try to get rid of pilots with a spanish test without at least trying to give us courses, as per our contracts...

Just my humble opinion...