PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage predicted in 3 Yrs
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2002, 07:13
Canadiankid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

A view from across the pond,

I would like to jump into this discussion. I will start by saying I agree with Scrogs and WWW. They are both using the experience they have to help keep the playing field level. There is a reason they moderate this forum. Both know what they are talking about.

I on the other hand have limited experience and wish to give my two cents. Things here in Canada took a nose dive in the fall of 2001. It looked bad. It has been only 9 months and the recovery is starting and looks like it will be in full swing by the end of 2002. Our main charter operator Canada 3000 went tits up. Air Canada was talking layoffs. Westjet (Canada's Ryanair) never missed a beat. Industry wide restructuring has taken place and the hiring has begun. Air Canada took 20 folks this month and from talking to people at AC, will be taking many more in the near future. Westjet is hiring a gang every month. The regional carriers are starting to get thin. It is only a matter of time until they start bringing people in.

My point is that demand is the only factor. Europe from my view point is just a little behind my part of the world. It is a huge aviation market rivaled only by th US. It will take time, but it will come. Jet jobs maybe out of the question for many of you in the near future. This in my mind is a perfect opportunity to go out and have some real fun. Teach others how to fly. Fly a traffic aircraft or a crop duster. Go to Africa or the Maldives and fly tourists. Pull banners in Cancun. Go to Fiji and fly floats. Try out some bush flying here in Canada. It is all within reach. If you can get a licence to fly you can do all of these things. There is one sure thing in your career. If you want the big iron it will happen. In the mean time enjoy yourselves. In the end there are two things that will get you where you want to be. A log book full of hours and the people you meet along the way.

I have taken interest in the European job scene for one reason. In a year I will have a JAA ATPL with 3000 hours of flying time and serious want for a good job in the UK. My concerns are similar to those of you just breaking into the industry. My conversion will cost 1 year's worth of salary. It would be easy to give it up but I refuse. The reward will be worth it.

The time that I have built so far has been a riot. Flying numerous types of light turbo props all over Canada and the world. It has been brilliant. I will look back on it with excellent memories and lots of stories. That being said I am looking forward to moving on.

Our destiny as induviduals is controlled by only one thing. That of course is ourselves. Make the best of it.

Good luck ladies and gents.