PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 31st Jul 2009, 11:06
Andyismyname

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When will BASSA start acting for the long-term good of its members?

The quarterly figures released today by our employer show the dire strait the airline is in. It mirrors the results for the rest of the industry.

I have heard colleagues say such things as "I would rather see the company go bust than change anything", and "the job won't be worth doing if they lower the pay".

Well, leave then.

BASSA cannot even see that by removing the Sandwiches from short-haul flights, the number of required crew has instantly been reduced. They cannot see threats, and they cannot project a way forward to a solution.

I would like BASSA to negotiate a settlement with BA. As one of the contibutors to The Times said today......"Would you prefer 80% of a cup of tea, or no cup of tea?" "Would you prefer 80% of your pay, or no pay?".

Personally I would accept a reduction in my pay. Yes I would have to alter the term of my mortgage, but paying it off more slowly, is better than not being able to pay it at all !!!!

By not effectively negotiating a settlement, BASSA are allowing our employer to very carefully ensure that they can legally impose change via "SOSR" (Some Other Substantial Reason). And unless they negotiate now, BASSA will have NO way of stopping the imposition of new contracts.

How very disappointing.

Last edited by Andyismyname; 31st Jul 2009 at 11:38.