PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sale - 40x Typhoon - unwanted gift
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2009, 10:45
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Hang on....

Tranche 1 = 55 aircraft
Tranche 2 = 89 aircraft

Therefore, 144 already in service/on order.

Assume that the 24 taken from the RAF slots on the production line for the Saudis are not to be replaced. According to all informed sources [i.e. not Sky] this is not the case, with the 'missing' 24 being built at the end of the second tranche. But assume that those 24 won't be appearing in RAF colours.

That leaves 120.

So according to Sky, the government is going to be signing a contract tomorrow to order er..... a total of Zero aircraft?

The actual video clip doesn't seem to be playing on the Sky site, but I can't (at the moment) help wondering whether the whole Tranche 3 business (3A and 3B, possible sales of airframes from Tranche 1 to Oman, etc) has fallen into the 'my head hurts, don't understand' category of journalism and they've interpreted the statement wrongly.

AA - the 232 was to provide sufficient numbers to equip 7 front line squadrons (envisaged at the time as replacing 4 F3and 3 Jaguar sqns) each with an establishment of 16 airframes, plus the OCU and OEU and 1435 Flt, leaving a sufficient reserve for the usual rotation in and out of storage, etc to maintain the fatigue life for that force out to 25/30 years.

I daresay that in 30 years, as the last Typhoons are running out of FI, a new generation of Ppruners, currently watching CBeebies as I type, will be cursing the decision to cut the T3 buy...