PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Staff Travel. FA jump seat use
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2009, 09:22
Capt Kremin

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
DH I don't think you have grasped the situation. The Tech Crew Rest seats are ONLY available when a long haul aircraft flies a two pilot crew.

That is a rare circumstance. Otherwise they are used by Tech Crew for required crew rest. They can be used to get someone on board who then must vacate the crew rest if it is required for its designed purpose. Just recently I had a cabin crew member ask to do just that to get his daughter onboard and I willingly obliged like I always do.

The flight deck JUMP seats, cannot be used for any beneficiaries under any circumstances. They used to be available and I have lost count of the number of cabin crew and their beneficiaries who used them when I was flying. That is now history.

You seem to be saying that now that now these jump seats on the flight deck are generally unavailable, then any spare jump seats in the cabin should only be available for cabin crew? What is the logic behind that?

If they are to be generally available then it makes sense to have the aircraft commander, who has the final say on all aspects of the operation, to have the final say on that as well.