PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1Time incident
Thread: 1Time incident
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2009, 19:03
JG1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All this 'brace! brace!' sh1t from the hosties is what gives the pax such a fright. Sure, you have to tell the crew to prepare for an 'emergency' landing but there's no degree to the emergency in their minds. And the cabin crew LOVE to play up to it too. So to most of them its either a normal landing or a full-on Class 1 Grade A Pink Ribbon Force 12 World War 4 catastrophe. And it scares the hell out of the pax. I don't think it's neccessary for the cabin to continue screaming 'brace &%*# brace' at the top of their lungs until the thing comes to a stop one way or another - it stuns the pax into wide-eyed bunny syndrome. And then when they get off they feel as if they've survived a catastrophe and report such to the media. Meanwhile it was a standard precautionary landing after a precautionary shutdown due to instrument failure.

I think the hosties should be trained in categories of emergency landing.
Cat I being a precautionary return due to a tech fault or loss of an engine.
Cat II being a precautionary return due to unsafe gear warning, not extended etc where it might prang a bit on the airfield
Cat III being an ok-we're-definitely-gonna-prang thing due, say, to having an excess of air in your fuel tanks and no runway close by.

In all categories they need to clear the cabin, but for Cat I the pax don't need to be told and thus alarmed.

For Cat II the pax need to be briefed, the pink card thing done and pax told TWICE to BRACE before touchdown but downplay the event 'cos 9/10 these things work out ok.

Cat III they can go beserk and foam at the mouth, they're probably gonna be in the paper anyway.