PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 29th Jul 2009, 18:00
TopBunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently had the opportunity to speak with a senior Amicus rep, whose company I enjoyed.

I was, however, flabbergasted by their lack of understanding of the pilots deal - that despite being briefed extensively by BALPA. They had NO idea of anything beyond the 2.61% paycut and the fact that we would get that back in shares (sic).

If these guys don't understand the deal (or feign ignorance of it - but I think the former) then why would anyone expect the rank and file to be given proper explanations? So I see nothing being gained other than incorrect propaganda being achieved by contacting a rep.

Secondly, the schoolboy level of maths applied to savings claims are laughable. For example: Departmental budget £560m (or whatever) and 14,000 employees. Divide 1 by the other and you get £40.5k per person. 2000 headcount reduction and bingo that's £81m towards the target; this despite the denial of the CAA £29.xK figure.

Frankly, all this talk of reps working very hard is encouraging, but I would suggest that it is rather too late - they would have been much more advised to have put as much effort in and to have attended all sessions with BA before the 30th June deadline.

They are running around now like headless chickens wondering why their usual tactic of saying no has not worked.

Well I'm sorry, by not engaging before the last couple of days of June, you have lost control of the agenda. As I have said before, do Bassa supporters think you are where you are now because of clever tactics or because WW has got you exactly where he wants you?

BTW, I think the putative timetable of events as outlined previously is about right - just about one week now to go until the story starts unfolding.