PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Job Of A Engineer
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2009, 17:07
ivor toolbox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have never ruled out the opiton of military but if i could get into civil avation that would a bonus. The only problem i have is i stay in scotland and there aint many avation engineering courses around up here which means i would have to move.

Another question i have is, are there many jobs available once i would be qualified or is it like airline pilots at the minute where the pilots are actually paying to sit in the cockpit?
AST (at Perth Aerodrome) should be ok. Like Mr Spanners, I used their services myself many moons ago, they are part 147 approved to train and conduct their own examinations, so you'll end up with a 'frozen' licence that just needs you to add in the practical experience (and be over 21) before it will be issued.

more info...look here...

Air Service Training (AST) :: Approved Category B Basic Course

or why not write to Loganair

Careers :: Engineers - Loganair

Services :: Engineering - Loganair

Alex Williamson (the engineering boss-man) is pretty approachable
(I used to work with him a few years back....its' a small world);

and Mr Genghis, its IEng that we're eligible for,upon joining the RAES.

http://www.raes.org.uk/cms/uploaded/files/GCAA1.pdf

Section 6.3.2 of the Incorporated Engineer chapter of the Engineering Council's Standards and
Routes to Registration, 3rd Edition (SARTOR 3) which is now replaced by UK-SPEC, authorises the
Royal Aeronautical Society to assess licensed aircraft maintenance engineers for Incorporated
Engineer registration through a special alternative route, recognising that their formation does not
follow the standard model cited elsewhere in SARTOR/UK-SPEC.
The special route to registration continues for appropriately experienced licensed aircraft maintenance
engineers holding Category B1, B2 or C JAR-66 licences to register as Incorporated Engineers.
This route has been maintained, not withstanding the increased educational standard of an ordinary
degree, on the basis of the final outputs, i.e. equating a JAR-66 Cat B1 or Cat B2 licence holder who
has held authorisations for typically three years with a graduate of an ordinary degree with three
years’ appropriate Initial Professional Development. This does not mean to say that the licence is
equivalent to a three-year degree, but that the nature of acquiring and applying authorisations meets
the same professional output standards as Incorporated Engineers who have achieved their

registration by other routes.

(thats' if there's a proposer and seconder locally,which is why I'm not registered yet)

Job availability depends very much on the market forces,but as someone esle has said, there's not many youngsters out there to replace us old gits when we retire shortly.

ttfn

Last edited by ivor toolbox; 29th Jul 2009 at 17:26.