PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2009, 09:57
Morbid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad decision IMO.

I remember BA trying the same for three months back in 2002/03 (maybe?) and the food service was quickly re introduced after "customer feedback".

I think we all know that BA's short haul European ops haven't made moeny in a long time but they do feed into the long haul network where the money is made. I think BA will score a massive own goal with this as really all BA is selling is its reputation and brand and this will erode that considerably. If you need a comparison just look at Iberia.

Iberia had a pretty much monopolised route network insdie Spain and throughout Europe which made good money for a number of years. When the Locos appeared on the scene Iberias idea was to cut additional services and compete head on... Something that has proved disasterous. FR and EZY are now in almost all Spanish cities and erodingf quickly IB's market share. So much so that IB is now hitting losses and had to set up a "subsidiary" low cost to combat them - Clickair.

BA, IB, LH and any other legacy carrier can't do the Aer lingus transformation, they're just too rigid in their cost base and in particular labour contracts. To my mind WW is doing the same as Fernando Conte did with IB (and indeed what WW did with Aer lingus)... Sell anything and everything, cut back on ancillary services and try and post a profit inflated with one offs for a couple of years. Fernando "left" Iberia this month as its suddenly become apparent that the "future" and "brand" of the company was sold off. Now IB have gone from being something of national pride to having an awful reputation in the Spanish market where FR and EZY are seen as the first choice.

To my mind both IB and BA are like one time 5 star hotels that are trying to offer B&B services thinking that their once great name still commands a 5 star price tag.... It doesnt