PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpaid Leave
Thread: Unpaid Leave
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2009, 07:37
always half full

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green,

You are of course right with regards to "your" fuel policy, and I don't know of any pilot that wouldn't exercise his power as the commander of the aircraft to take what he deems safe!

There are some who will take plog fuel, and there are times when diversions will be required. This has been factored in and accepted. Overall, I think they have achieved what they wanted, and that was a fuel saving. Ignore the KPI jargon (Sim time and line checks have always worked well!), it's a management tool for the measurement of managers and thier workforces. Works well in manufacturing/medical/financial sectors, but un-measurable in the airline industry, too many variables! (I'm guessing this came with new HR staff from other industries. Nice idea, wrong environment).....

We all know the dreaded HR witch has been put out to graze, so she's no longer a problem. The problem now is communication. There, like you say, is a fear from above. There are people in high positions who are afraid to speak what they really think, and that comes right from the top. Consequently you breed a management team who in fear for their own jobs' would rather be "yes" men/ladies than stand up for what they believe to be right!

I'm a great believer in re-invention and adaption to the environment you find yourself in, and I have to say our leader is good at that. My only concern is our leader is taking is finger of the pulse regarding his workforce. The very same workforce who have built this company with him to the level it's at today. We have had to to take the rough with the smooth, many of us sacrificing (this year) holidays and such the like. We are ALL here working hard to see this company a success and earn Mr.Meeson the riches he most desires. In the interest of flight safety and Jet2, I think it is time he re-evaluates his position as Chairman. Ruling with an iron fist, threatening crews before work etc is a BIG NO-NO!!!!

BALPA will come Mr.Meeson, not to brow beat you, but to put in place a modern workable communication tool that can't be ignored. You can't take take take, there has to be some give. We, as a whole have now decided enough is enough. Some pretty krass decisions have forced our hands and now we are taking action. But don't worry, BALPA aren't about to close you down, no,no. They are us, we are them. We will endeavour to work with them and you (let's face it, you make ALL the decisions anyhow) to try and work through these difficult times as best we can, with a vast amount of experience to draw from.

It's been said before, and I'll say it again, BALPA is our only option. We have the desired numbers now (ie well over 50%+1), but awaiting a few more from every base for that warm and fuzzy feeling!

Let us work together, act like adults and agree on terms and conditions that benefit all. If 50% rosters over Winter suit some, then let them have it. For God's sake, you are saving 50% of your wage bill for that person.........Let ego's be pushed aside, it is people who keep this airline running, not one man and his dog!!!!