PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More interesting take offs and landings?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2009, 19:18
Romeo Delta
Wherefore Art I?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three (four landings) from me, and all on MD products...

Flying a RNO-PDX-SEA flight back in the mid '80s on the old Sunworld in a DC-9-10. Wx in Portland was summertime fine, minimal winds and such (no need to pound it down). Landing was "descend, descend, float, float, float, float, CRUNCH!" Enough for us pax to look at each other with questioning looks. Figured it was a one-time thing. Everyone has a few like that.

Well, not quite...

SEA was the same way. Nice descent, all lined up, "float, float, float, float, WHAM!!!" This time a guy called out from a few rows in front of me "Jesus Christ! Are you KIDDING me?!?"

------------

Mid '90s, STL-TPA on a TWA MD-80. Rainy afternoon in Tampa. Apparently, we weren't slowing down enough after touchdown, as the brakes locked up about halfway down the runway and we skidded and juddered to a halt. Turned around and went back to the taxiway we just passed and taxied in to the gate amid the smell of burning rubber and brakes. (There were at least two more taxiway exits ahead of us, so I don't think it was a simple brake-lockup; maybe there was a deer on the runway ahead of us...)

-------------

Last year, flying CLT-ATL on another MD-80 (guess which airline). About 2 miles out, I felt a little "dip." I thought nothing of it (happens all the time in ATL), but the pilot came on the PA and shouted "Everyone turn off all your electronics NOW!!!" That got everyone looking at each other... Hit the runway hard, full brakes (enough that some items were falling out in the galley).

Usually the pilots will step out and say their goodbyes to the pax. But this door stayed shut for the entire deplaning. I was one of the last ones out, and I could hear the FA knocking on the door afterward asking if the pilots were okay and telling them everyone else was off...