PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - c152 missing between Hamilton and New Plymouth NZ POB1
Old 26th Jul 2009, 00:46
Massey058

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
PPRuNe can be quite depressing at times and I'm not suggesting that this is an uplifting topic by a long shot but here we actually have a decent discussion with all sorts of experience levels chipping in.

As I said earlier in the peace I knew the pilot, I also know his instructors from his ab-initio training (some of whom I have flown with). Some of the comments made on here are certainly a bit rough but I understand where people are coming from.

Like all accidents there will no doubt be a number of factors at play in this one but it does seem like it all comes down to the go/no-go decision process.

On instructors and not just at the school we both trained at, there will always be 'lifers' (that seems like a derogatory term but most certainly is not) and 'hour-builders'. These two tags are largely un-important as it comes down to the individual and their own merits. The pilot concerned flew with both types of instructors from 'green' c-cat to experienced a-cat with outside experience. All of which I would describe as consciencious operators at a minimum.

I don't think the 'sausage factory' lack of experience in right of operating conditions holds water either. I can't speak to his particular training in every aspect but as a general rule you get to experience varying conditions, sometimes you even have to turn-around when it all turns to custard (dual and/or solo).

This brings me to get-there-itis, I think one of the most dangerous thought processes that can run through a pilots mind. I don't believe its something that gets neglected in training (as above) and I certainly remember being lectured about this subject a lot. Its even a flight test item.

Pilots are generally mission-based, we fly from here to there, simple. But this creates problems because when you add in grey-areas (black and white to some, but not others at times) there can be a pull to push on through. Despite all the airmanship/professionalism briefings and AvKiwi seminars people still die. I don't think it means these are pointless exercises, quite the reverse but keep trying we must.

Night VFR, CAA and oversight and GA awards etc. are all side issues in this case I think, but very worthy of discussion.