PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Future?
Thread: The Future?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2009, 22:20
Falling Leaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Falling leaf what planet are you from. As the previous post replied CASA governs us.
Not the same as been governed by a professional body that you have to apply and qualify for, i.e. bar exam. By using the same logic above, could we say that all road users are part of a profession because they have licenses, can be issues fines, demerit points etc?

The American 'Legacy Airlines' all require a degree for entry as a junior F/O
Although across the industry, this is not a requirement (more a screening technique by majors with no shortages of applicants), unlike the true Professions; you can't practice medicine or law without a degree.

I suppose you could if you want call our profession a trade, why not? Who cares.
Maybe the truth is somewhere between profession and trade? The industry seems to contain a broad spectrum of people ranging from one end to the other, as evident on these forums.

A degree and 15 years to qualify, what more do you want to qualify as a professional, a moon landing?
Although from reading DG&P over the years the 'moon landing' were jokingly referred to as requirements for RFDS, and present requirements for Rex command upgrade, until all pilots require a degree, and have our own professional body (independent of Government oversight), then strictly, technically, and pedantically (I concede) we are not a Profession (with a capital P).

plumbers are paided so well.........no one loves unblocking toilets
Some trades do pay more then the Professions, especially during a housing boom...

A trade is only 4 years.
Because we love flying so much, does not our industry keep us on apprentice wages for 10-15 years, holding out the carrot of the 'professional' salary of a wide-body Captain at the end of our 'apprenticeships'?