PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF Emergency Landing in BOS
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2009, 11:59
JazzyKex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAND ASAP is from A340 FCOM.
Thanks for that Swedflyer.

I'm not an Airbus pilot so have no idea what the emergency checklist states for that type. If you do have access can you say whether if you follow the engine fire checklist, and the fire then goes out the checklist states whether fuel dumping to max landing weight is then part of the checklist before it says Land ASAP (or does is state at nearest suitable).

On Boeing's that fuel jettison process can be run to automatically (in my aircraft) to stop at MLW so can be done while you brief and prepare to return.

I do however completely accept that on a BOS-CDG flight they may have been pretty light anyway.

I'm just questioning the prudence of a decision to override the published and expected process certified by the company, manufacturer and the authorities and landing overweight in a 4 engine jet when there has been a completely contained fire followed by a single engine shutdown.

Without doubt that often misused term 'airmanship' comes into the decision and lies entirely with the crew on the day and the circumstances they feel they are encountering and all checklists go out of the window if the situation deems necessary...however...my question is, in this seemingly straightforward circumstance is it one of those times?

As you state we don't have the facts that were in the hands of the crew, but it does seem little if anything they did is in question. Textbook situation handled exactly by the book. Crew, company, pax, authorities and lawyers all happy!

Jazzy