PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Job Front - Note to the Unions, Chief Pilots, Agencies and Fellow Pilots
Old 25th Jul 2009, 10:48
Private jet

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting thread this......I'm not sure what could be done to improve things. i suspect the "right" solution is, as ever, dependant on an individuals personal perspective, which is shaped by their circumstances, background and experience.
Personally speaking i'm not one of those people who is prepared to crawl a mile over broken glass in the pursuit of another flying hour. I never have been. I got into flying because i wanted to travel, have a lot of variety in my work and i'm interested in the subject knowledge. I certainly did not become a professional pilot because i "love flying"...In fact the thought of ever being an FI, with endless circuits/exercises in a heap of s**t cessna or piper makes me feel ill. Of course there are those who will think i'm not a "proper" pilot for thinking this way. Well, i have FAA and UK/Euro ATPL's and nearly 3000hrs on jets, so whatever the prop jockey brigade think, i just don't care anymore. I'm lucky enough to have a job at the moment (albeit a somewhat part time one!) I'm first to admit i got into corporate flying by chance, unfortunately in flying thats often the way it goes, you are in the right place at the right time or you know somebody etc etc.
I guess all that i'm trying to say is that we are all individuals, have to make our own choices and we all have to work with what we've got and what opportunities are available to us at any given time. To what extent an individual should "whore" themselves to get on in the modern job market is solely up to them. If they want to suffer for their art thats fine, if they stand back and say "no way thats not for me" then thats fine as well.