PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA BA Ballot 94% In Favour
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2009, 15:45
Bucking Bronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinkaroo

I'm not sure what your point was? In the UK a Foundation House Officer (junior doctor) will take home around £1400 pcm, which will rise up to £7100 pcm for top tier Consultants working solely in NHS hospitals. Newly qualified Junior Dr's in South Africa take home £540 pcm and when I was in Tanzania last year, pilots who were flying us around on internal flights were on £300 pcm.

There were a couple of points I was trying to make: as Human Factor pointed out, wages are influenced by many factors; that BA CC earn far more than the industry average and also to point out other jobs (Air Traffic Controller, Computer Programmer) that paid comparable wages required higher levels of qualifications than the 2 GCSEs (English & Maths) that BA require from it's cabin crew applicants.

What other salaried jobs out there pay as much for such minimal qualifications? I'd be interested to know.

Whilst on a personal level I feel sadness for individual members of our cabin crew over the impending storm, on another level I believe that BA cannot sustain paying it's CC such a large premium over industry norm and that it cannot allow BASSA to dictate the operation.

Last edited by Bucking Bronco; 24th Jul 2009 at 16:05.