PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Job Front - Note to the Unions, Chief Pilots, Agencies and Fellow Pilots
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 13:08
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEJM I am saying that the UK market has the biggest pool available to it from any other western nation. 350 EU citizens (roughly same as US) plus the children and grandchildren of emigrators (lots of Commonwealth).

I've listened to people like you talk about the "love of aviation", yes I had that initially, "find a job thats your hobby and you will never work another day in your life". Flying over the alps at 350 or seeing Kilimanjaro at sunrise reinforce that, however all the bull**** that goes along with this job at the start does tend to eat away at you a little.

I look at it now pragmaticly, we have over capacity, we have lots of experienced people out there, lot of factors affecting the sustainability (oil, epidemics, terrorism, taxes), I have a mortgage to pay, a girl I want to settle down with, but know I would accept Air ToraBora if it came along. So please don't question my love of aviation and please don't suggest I have to live the life of a Commando comic hero to justify opting for this career.

Also you find lots of Brits abroad in the Middle East as when a government funds a tourist industry and global hub airlines through oil money with rapid expansion then you need to bring in trained professionals, 1 aircraft every 2 months is unsubstainable for the UAE which has an indigenous population of 300,000 (same as Belfast). Also you'll find that region of the world is one of the only who employ non nationals at ATC'ers. In the UK we can sustain our own market with our own talent. I also added in the original post that many UK pilots choose to abroad for work.

Finally, it is by no means manditory that everyone has to work as a FI, you feel it is because no doubt that was your route. I identified my route through this career objectively, I could earn more, provide for my loved ones, do something I enjoy, keep the bank manager from the door and be better served by following my route from PPL to flying a jet. I don't apologise for it, why should I?