PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Job Front - Note to the Unions, Chief Pilots, Agencies and Fellow Pilots
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 12:46
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes hours totals and command courses under belts bypass "strict" hiring criteria, that and mates and CV's slid across the right desk by a mate. Not forgetting the fact we work in an industry that tends to fire-fight problems opposed to forward plan for them.

I am embarrassed I don't speak another language, its endemic in our country and to be fair it was my least favourite subject at school, maybe if it had started when I was 3/4 opposed to 11 things would be different.

I never suggested getting a living on a plate however I see and have experienced evidence of barriers put in my way to employment that are or cannot be mirrored here in the UK. Maybe I should buy a sniper rifle and hang about outside the Luton "Outback" pub, or find out which nightclub the Thomsonfly CP's daughter goes to and work the charm.

One of the reasons I like aviation is the international aspect of the job and colleagues. I don't advocate a nationalistic attitude. In a lot of other countries employers have to justify why they are hiring foreigners opposed to nationals. Maybe if we weren't too concerned about offending in the UK it could be looked at on a yearly basis.

Many pilots currently working here have the best of two worlds, I'm saying that for many British pilots currently in the UK without work we have less than one to compete with.

I agree in the past 30 years many of our own ranks have eroded our profession, why? Because we do an aspirational job, that has/had nice benefits and salary. There is the kudos and the office view and the desire to do it sometimes has got in the common good. Unfortunately executives and the accountants who run airlines know this and use it to their advantage.

I see what happened with Easy and BMI assimilating some crew as something that had to be done, however Thomas Cook bringing Canadians over for the summer and sending UK crew over for the winter rests slightly less easy for me. I can see how by doing so ensures year round employment for someone opposed to 7 months on 5 months off as some charter companies are offering.

I think the main aim at present is to get a job, keep the head down and make sure you have enough time served as when the next blip happens, you are safe due to your position in the seniority list. As to getting that job, for the reasons outlined in my 3 lengthy posts its as tough as those 4 big red balls obstacle in Wipeout