PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Job Front - Note to the Unions, Chief Pilots, Agencies and Fellow Pilots
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 12:35
CEJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreamshiner,

Don't want to make this into a personal dispute, but who are you blaming that a lot of foreigners are working for British airlines?

Unfortunately you have only your own school system and yourself to blame. For these foreigners english is a second language and as such has to be learned. Take for example the Dutch, they start with english lessons at the age of 10 and in many cases have it as a mandatory subject up to the age of 18. So they put a lot of effort in learning the language.

The British (not all!!) drop any foreign language at school as quickly as they can. Then later in life they complain that the world isn't fair to them. Who is there to blame?

While I can partly understand your frustration why don't you instead of posting on this forum make your time usefull and learn another language?

Yes, most company's require you to be fluent but the thruth is slightly different. Lufthansa Cityline (they took lowhoured people) is happy if you make an effort to speak to the language and accept that you will get more proficient when you work/live in Germany. From the people I have spoken to who did the DLR tests they are even available in english!.

The French do indeed require you to be fluent in French. KLM has a fair amount of 'foreigners' working for them who only learned the language after they got the job.

And as Mister Geezer already said when you venture a bit further then the Brest FIR you will hear a lot of British voices with Etihad/Emirates etc. callsigns. So please don't think that the Brits don't go abroad to fly.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed with your attitude. You say the instructing would not serve your ultimate goal. So do you really think that because you have got a fATPL the world owes you a job on a jet or turboprop?

If you really did this job because you were a true pilot then you would accept anything else as long as you were flying. You come across as being in it for the money and that is the wrong reason IMHO.

Rant over.

Best of luck