PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations & Negotiations
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 09:30
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tightslot,

The official deadline for negotiations between the unions and BA was 30th June. Following that, BA have called in ACAS to mediate with the Unite unions (including BASSA). It is not binding arbitration though. At some point, a halt will be called and unless an agreement is reached between both sides, expect BA to impose new Terms and Conditions on the cabin crew (and go to court using "Some Other Substantial Reason" to make it stick). At the same time, expect lots of bluster from BASSA and possibly a strike ballot. Whether or not they will get the support of their members or whether BA will put a stop to any action using SOSR is anyone's guess.

A cynic would suggest that BA may be dragging the ACAS talks along to make sure any strike occurs after the summer period.

If I were you I'd be tempted to lock this thread until a decision is made one way or another, then unlock it and allow it to continue after that. There are one or two contributors who don't seem to get the message that pilots and cabin crew have totally unrelated jobs and should have totally unrelated treatment, which results in those pilots who take an interest (we'd like to keep our jobs at the end of this as well) being drawn in to defend our profession against what are clearly uninformed opinions. As a result the thread is going round in circles.

Bon chance.

PS: BA seem confident that all this will be sorted out by the beginning of October. The deal with the pilots relies upon that. Imposition of new contracts requires 90 days notice using SOSR (a previous post/link of mine refers) and ideally needs to be in place by the beginning of the winter season. Take a look at your calendar and see when a deal needs to be done by.