PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all aircraft owners - fixed costs?
Old 21st Jul 2009, 12:18
Clearedtoreenter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling all aircraft owners - fixed costs?
What fixed costs? there are none.. everything in GA is completely out of control!

Think of a number double it, treble it, whatever, you'll be wrong. Once you learn to live with that idea you'll be fine. Small S/E aircraft generally cost much less than big complicated ones is about all I have learned over the years. There's no predicting costs by age or hours. All LAME's are different and charge you more and take much longer than you think because the last one was an idiot and did it all wrong and then they tell you how lucky you are bringing it to them, even if they did take 3 months to do a 100hrly whilst they fart around doing the the big guys jobs.. They are MUCH quicker at taking your aircraft to pieces than putting them back together again.... - and generally go deaf if you dare to think in terms of modern concepts like customer service. Cheaper ones are NOT usually worse than expensive ones. You know you might have a good one when the prop does not fall off on the first flight after a 100hrly.

Insurance? Ask for a quote. Start with QBE Aviation, then try Brokers like Marsh. They're all much of a muchness. Very little competition in this country. Really aircraft ownership is just an open invitation to receive awful service and be ripped off by whoever you deal with, airports, air services, fuel suppliers, so called 'engineers' parts suppliers, manufacturers.. you name it! I just can't understand why I keep doing it!

Numbers? No idea! say doing the usual 100hrs per year or so - a 150 might cost $12K a 210 might cost $35K (+ the unexpected)