PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - secret service agent denied boarding
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2002, 18:19
Covenant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't read the other thread, but one thing about this which concerns me, and which doesn't appear to have been addressed yet is that a large part of the damage has already been done by the damned politically correct litigious US system.

If you are a captain, and, after this incident, you are in a situation where you are having to decide whether to board an Arab about whom you have some doubts, aren't you going to have a little pause for thought?

I'm sure most of you will say, quite rightly, that the safety of your aircraft and passengers is your primary concern, but with the prospect of court action, media scrutiny and possibly even disciplinary action if it all goes pear-shaped, isn't there going to be a temptation from now on to play it safe and not cause a fuss in borderline cases?

I find it hard to believe that, just four months after the events of 9/11, the grasping lawyers feel justified in playing the race card for their own personal gain.

My own opinion is that this law suit actually discriminiates against all the other millions of passengers who have flown since 9/11. What was it that really upset him? The answer, of course, is that he became frustrated and pissed off with the kind of delays and bureaucratic cock-ups that all airline passengers have to cope with on a daily basis, even before the tragic events of this year. The difference is that he was arabic and chose to play the race card and was also a secret service agent who was able to get media attention for his little upset.