PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - secret service agent denied boarding
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2002, 19:51
AAL_Silverbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Guv,

Did the “several” passengers know in advance they were sitting next to an armed passenger? If they did then his cover was blown and it was time for him to collect his bags and leave the plane for his own safety as well as the safety of the passengers. If the passengers didn’t know his status then yes it would look like the Captain had singled him out for special treatment, not because he was an American of Arab descent but because he was carrying a GUN!

Do you know what a Secret Service badge and ID look like? I don’t! Are you going to let any Tom, Dick or Harry with a shiny badge and fancy paper work on board your aircraft if you aren’t 100% sure as to who that person claims to be? Then he can’t fill out the paper work correctly and you suggest for the Captain to assist him! That’s a good one! What’s next let the guy borrow your lighter so he can light his shoe? Even the BWI cops thought he was acting “unprofessional”.

Anyone packing a gun onboard an aircraft after 9/11 should be prepared to receive “special attention” and not to be surprised if the Captain expects all the I’s dotted and all the t’s crossed. He might even want to see the ID several times. If the LEO gets hostile, or belligerent about this treatment then I would suggest he put his weapon in his checked baggage and travel like all the other passengers.

I’ve had several armed LEOs onboard since 9/11 and they have all acted very professional and have blended in with the rest of the passengers in the back. The Captain did the right thing in leaving him behind to cool off.